Generally a prediction can really feel proper though it finally ends up unsuitable. And vice versa.
Final season, this column projected Ohio State and Alabama to overlook the School Soccer Playoff. Daring? Dumb? The road is ok.
One out of two isn’t dangerous, however in some methods the one which ended up being unsuitable felt extra proper.
Whereas the Buckeyes did develop into susceptible, the choose right here to win the Huge Ten and attain the playoff for the primary time was … Wisconsin. The Badgers went 9-4 final season and didn’t even win their division. The Buckeyes misplaced to Oregon early and Michigan late.
As for Alabama, the idea behind the Crimson Tide lacking the CFP was it might lose a regular-season recreation — almost definitely at Texas A&M — after which Georgia would eradicate Nick Saban’s crew by successful the SEC title recreation.
That appeared like a great name when the unbeaten and favored Bulldogs went up 10-0 within the second quarter in Atlanta. Then Bryce Younger carved up Georgia’s vaunted protection, and it turned one more instance of the perils of selecting in opposition to ’Bama.
Some redemption got here within the CFP title recreation, when Georgia — as predicted right here within the preseason — received the nationwide title.
Whereas it’s cool to be proper, predictions are principally made for enjoyable. Straight chalk is boring, however final season’s volatility that included Ohio State, Clemson and Oklahoma having lengthy convention championship streaks snapped is perhaps robust to repeat. With all that in thoughts:
Three groups that may begin the season ranked within the AP Prime 25 however end unranked:
• No. 12 Oklahoma State. The tremendous seniors and coordinator that powered among the best defenses within the nation are gone, and the Huge 12 is at all times unpredictable.
• No. 16 Miami. Hurricanes haters get yet another 12 months of mocking how the U. is Again! Would possibly need to get it out of your system, although, as a result of Miami beneath Mario Cristobal just isn’t prone to be mediocre for for much longer.
• No. 19 Arkansas. The SEC West is a gauntlet, and any person goes to be disenchanted. You’re it, Razorbacks.
Three groups that may begin the season unranked however end ranked:
• Penn State. On the way in which to constructing towards one thing massive in 2023, James Franklin and the Nittany Lions bounce again from two lackluster seasons.
• Kansas State. The Adrian Martinez redemption tour.
• UCF. The Knights have been usurped by Cincinnati as kings of the AAC and Houston is the buzzy G5 crew heading into this season. However UCF seems loaded in Yr 2 beneath Gus Malzahn.
American Athletic Convention: Houston over UCF. The way forward for the Huge 12.
ACC: Clemson over North Carolina. What higher strategy to finish divisional play within the ACC than Clemson beating the fourth-best crew within the convention?
Huge 12: Kansas State over Oklahoma. Rating one for the leftovers.
Huge Ten: Ohio State over Minnesota. The West Division will come all the way down to a enjoyable, four- or five-team scramble and the winner’s reward is a beatdown from the Buckeyes in Indianapolis.
Pac-12: Oregon over USC. A primary-year coach wins the Pac-12. Simply not the one getting probably the most consideration.
SEC: Alabama over Georgia. Yep, we’re doing this once more.
New Yr’s Six bowls
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs. USC
Sugar Bowl: Georgia vs. Kansas State
Cotton Bowl — Houston vs. Oklahoma
Orange Bowl — North Carolina State vs. Texas A&M
Fiesta Bowl (semifinals): No. 2 Ohio State vs. No. 3 Clemson
Peach Bowl (semifinals): No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Oregon
Ohio State over Alabama. The Buckeyes win a rematch of the 2020 CFP championship recreation, with C.J. Stroud outdueling Bryce Younger.