The Kentucky Division of Schooling (KDE) acknowledged 9 colleges and three college districts for greatest practices through the 2022 Steady Enchancment Summit, held on the Central Financial institution Middle in Lexington on Sept. 26-27. Greater than 800 educators from throughout the Commonwealth attended the summit.
The summit offered attendees the chance to spend money on their very own development as a frontrunner and a instructor and provided methods to make a distinction of their work and of their college students’ experiences.
“Congratulations to all of our Greatest Follow winners,” stated Schooling Commissioner Jason E. Glass. “I’m happy with our educators’ dedication to offering Kentucky college students with vibrant studying experiences that can assist them out and in of the classroom.”
Affiliate Commissioner Kelly Foster introduced every Greatest Follow winner with a $500 verify that can be utilized towards college enchancment.
These acknowledged had been:
- Jacob Elementary (Jefferson County), Regulators, Mount Up 2.0!: This challenge created an id in Optimistic Behavioral Interventions and Helps that helps workers develop a primary understanding of mind science and its influence within the classroom for college kids & lecturers;
- Wellington Elementary (Fayette County), Highly effective Follow: PDSA to Teaching Protocol: Wellington Elementary engaged in a Plan-Do-Examine-Act (PDSA) journey that led to creating a school-wide teaching protocol that’s evolving;
- Whitney Younger Elementary (Jefferson County), Implementing a Weekly Steady Enchancment Loop to Help Instructor Growth and Pupil Success: The Younger Elementary management group utilized Carnegie Enchancment Science protocols and inquiry cycles to the skilled studying group (PLC) work to create a system of instructor help. The PDSA iterative course of offered the pathway to this method creation that yielded improved scholar outcomes, educational practices, and tendencies;
- Fern Creek Excessive College (Jefferson County), Laundry & Loot: Assembly Primary Must Enhance General Pupil Outcomes: Laundry & Loot supplies decide up laundry companies to college students. Moreover, college students and their households obtain clothes and meals help. In spring 2022, Fern Creek Laundry & Loot provided the inaugural Promenade Glow Up the place college students had been in a position to choose attire, fits and equipment for senior promenade, in addition to obtain hair and make-up companies on promenade day;
- Doss Excessive College (Jefferson County), Accelerating Pupil Achievement: Doss Excessive College makes use of PLC methods to investigate quite a lot of knowledge sources and establish college students in want of Tier 3 help in core content material lessons. Recognized college students are grouped and assigned to content-specific lecturers for a chosen 45-minute block on alternating days for 3-week rotations. Throughout this time, extremely expert lecturers give attention to requirements restoration, using methods and actions simplest with Tier 3 instruction and studying. This system occurs through the college day;
- Fairview Unbiased College District, Strategic Planning: Strategic Considering Course of: Fairview Unbiased adopted the Strategic Planning Course of from the Nationwide Institute for College Management Strategic Considering Framework, encompassing the PDSA from Jim Shipley & Associates (JSA), with the give attention to the JSA Programs Method to Steady Enchancment. The Strategic Planning Course of permits colleges and districts to develop methods round priorities and targets. By this course of, monitoring of the methods being developed is included to align with the mannequin for steady enchancment;
- James A. Farmer Elementary (Jefferson County), Say Goodbye Phrase Wall and Hi there Sound Wall: The sound wall is an educational device that aligns to the structured literacy methodology by selling specific, systematic educating that’s good for all youngsters, however obligatory for struggling readers. By guaranteeing a high-quality Tier I instruction, fewer college students are recognized as needing Tier II and III interventions. The sound wall, which aligns to structured literacy, additionally addresses the constraints of the phrase wall. Particularly, the sound wall promoted phonemic consciousness, phonics and a transparent group to deal with scholar usability of this educational device. The sound wall makes use of bars to replicate the frequency during which the letters signify every of the 44 sounds;
- Jessamine County College District, Elevating Pupil Progress In the course of the Summer season: In 2021, Jessamine County leaders launched a focused summer time program that resulted in summer time progress from spring to fall 2021;
- Jessamine County College District, Instructor Chief Networks – A Steady Enchancment Powerhouse: Figuring out and partnering with instructor leaders throughout the district has been a key to creating a system of sturdy skilled studying communities. These lecturers work with district and college directors to guide their friends in implementing excessive yield practices, efficient studying communities and classroom studying methods. They’re the spine of the work and create sustainable change of their colleges that has led to excessive ranges of development all through our colleges;
- Camargo Elementary (Montgomery County), Vertical Planning: Vertical Planning is a purposeful planning course of between grade ranges that addresses educational gaps, repetition of requirements, sources, vocabulary and the general high quality of instruction. This course of permits lecturers to turn into masters of their content material and grade degree space and perceive the significance of their educational influence within the development of an ordinary;
- Rowan County College District, Hold Your Eye on the Prize: Studying Intentions and Success Standards within the Elementary Classroom: Specializing in studying intentions and success standards, the scholars took the lead of their studying. By studying intentions aligned to the requirements, success standards designed to permit college students to evaluate their understanding and lecturers gathering formative knowledge to tell educational selections, the result’s nice alternatives for profitable studying;
- Martha Layne Collins Excessive College (Shelby County), Establishing a Tradition of Progress By Full Workers Suggestions: The executive group made a dedication to offer each instructor with suggestions that they might discover helpful. To take action, they developed expectations, paperwork, and protocols that we attribute to the success of our system. With a couple of changes, this course of may show helpful at any college; and
- Atkinson Academy (Jefferson County), Enhancing Writing Instruction with Enchancment Science: This challenge focuses on their use of enchancment science to enhance writing instruction in all school rooms. Their journey included the usage of a writing enchancment committee and a number of enchancment science instruments to foster overwhelming instructor efficacy.
In 2013, KDE launched the Greatest Practices and Sustainability web site which was designed to function a clearinghouse to advertise practices that inspire, interact and supply measurable ends in scholar studying, achievement and college/district processes. The location helps lecturers, directors, district personnel and some other schooling advocates searching for methods which have been confirmed profitable in quite a lot of settings. KDE has recognized efficient practices that enhance scholar efficiency and promotes practices for educators with the aim of enhancing instructional alternatives for all youngsters.
Any Kentucky instructor, college or district might submit a greatest observe to KDE for consideration to be a Greatest Follow award recipient.