DURHAM – The Duke discipline hockey crew formally opens the 2022 marketing campaign with a pair of contests within the Battle on the Banks hosted by Rutgers. The No. 18 Blue Devils tackle the No. 8 Scarlet Knights Aug. 26 at 1 p.m., and No. 16 Saint Joseph’s Aug. 27 at 2 p.m.
Methods to Observe the Motion
- Followers can watch each video games on BTN+ by buying a Rutgers month-to-month subscription for $9.95. Dwell stats additionally will probably be obtainable with hyperlinks to the stream and reside scoring obtainable at GoDuke.com. Dominick Savino will name the motion over the course of the weekend.
The Opening Hit
- Duke begins the 2022 season with 4 consecutive highway video games. The Blue Devils begin the season ranked 18th within the NFHCA preseason ballot.
- The Blue Devils performed a pair of exhibitions towards VCU and North Carolina, going 1-1. Duke bested the Rams, 3-1, earlier than falling to the Tar Heels.
- Head coach Pam Bustin enters her twelfth season on the helm and welcomes 9 newcomers to this system. Bustin is one win away from changing into the nineteenth Division I head coach to win 300 video games. She at present ranks eleventh amongst lively coaches in profession victories.
- Sophomore Logan Clouser tied for the crew lead in scoring final season, approaching robust late within the 12 months. She had a team-high 5 objectives and registered two within the exhibition video games this preseason.
- Junior Piper Hampsch is again within the cage for the Blue Devils. With 161 saves to her identify, Hampsch ranks thirteenth on the Duke profession chart and is on tempo to turn out to be the tenth Blue Satan to amass 200 profession saves.
By the Numbers
9 – Newcomers to the Duke discipline hockey program – six freshmen and three switch student-athletes
44 – Profession factors for senior Hannah Miller, rating tied for forty seventh in Duke historical past
161 – Saves for goaltender Piper Hampsch in two seasons within the cage, rating thirteenth on the Duke profession charts
6 – Common season house video games for the Blue Devils in 2022, tied for the fewest since 2018
1 – Win wanted by head coach Pam Bustin to affix the 300-wins membership, which might make her the nineteenth Division I head coach to succeed in the marker
41 – P.c of Duke’s factors from 2021 returning to the sector for the Blue Devils in 2022
- Rutgers enters the 2022 season ranked eighth within the NFHCA preseason ballot. The Scarlet Knights are coming off essentially the most profitable season in program historical past with a 19-4 general document and the Large Ten Event title. Rutgers returns two of its high three level scorers from final season, however misplaced 11 gamers from final 12 months’s crew.
- Sophia Howard steps into the cage after the departure of All-American Gianna Glatz. A quartet of seniors (Maggie Lamb, Amanda Beck, Isabella Mancini and Carly Snarski) all performed in double-digit video games final season and can look to step into bigger roles this season. Led by Meredith Civico in her eleventh season, the Scarlet Knights welcome eight newcomers.
Scouting Saint Joseph’s
- Saint Joseph’s begins its 2022 season ranked sixteenth within the NFHCA preseason ballot and because the preseason favourite to win the Atlantic 10 title. The Hawks returned to the highest of the Atlantic 10 final season and look to seize their fifth title in six seasons.
- The Hawks landed 4 people – seniors Katy Benton and Freke van Tilburg, junior Manu Ghigliotti and sophomore Sol Borenszstein – to the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Convention Workforce. Tilburg was a second crew All-American in 2021, whereas Ghigliotti was the Atlantic 10 Offensive Participant of the Yr.
Concerning the Blue Devils
- Duke enters the 2022 season that includes a roster of 26 gamers, together with 9 newcomers. The Blue Devils welcome six freshmen to the crew and three switch athletes. Duke has 41 % of its scoring from final 12 months again and can characteristic a brand new backline following the commencement of Grace Kim, Caroline Hannan and Lexi Davidson. Piper Hampsch is again to anchor the Blue Devils within the cage.
- Offensively, sophomore Logan Clouser returns following a stable rookie season. She led all Blue Devils with 5 objectives and tied for the crew lead with 13 factors. She confirmed properly in the course of the first two exhibitions and will probably be seemed to as a frontrunner on offense. Hannah Miller is the veteran attacker and crew captain and enters the season with 44 profession factors, whereas a number of different Blue Devils have the flexibility to be high scorers as properly.
- Defensively, Duke is filling holes left by a quartet of veterans. The Blue Devils could have a completely new backline and will probably be bolstered by the expertise of graduate scholar Raphaelle van de Walle from the Netherlands. Senior Mary Harkins and sophomores Shelby Bumgarner and Megan Maransky will look to construct off their experiences this previous spring in a beginning function this 12 months.
- The Blue Devils hit the highway once more the subsequent weekend, touring to Boston for the ACC/Large 10 Cup. Duke will tackle No. 1 Northwestern and fourth-ranked Maryland at Boston School, Sept. 2 and 4, respectively.