TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Junior quarterback Bryce Younger mixed for 295 yards of whole offense and 6 touchdowns to steer the top-ranked College of Alabama soccer staff previous Utah State, 55-0, Saturday night time in entrance of 98,321 followers inside Bryant-Denny Stadium. The Tide opened the season with a win for the Sixteenth-straight 12 months beneath head coach Nick Saban.
Younger completed the night time with a team-leading and career-high 100 yards dashing (5 rushes) whereas throwing for a further 195 yards on 18-of-28 passes with 5 touchdowns. Working again Jahmyr Gibbs completed with 93 yards on 9 carries in his Crimson Tide debut. Juniors Traeshon Holden (5 catches, 90 yards, 2 TDs) and Jermaine Burton (5 catches, 35 yards, 2 TDs) mixed for 10 receptions, 125 yards and 4 touchdowns to steer the aerial assault.
Redshirt senior Jaylen Moody paced all Tide defenders with 5 tackles, together with one for loss and one quarterback hurry. In all, Alabama’s protection accounted for 5 tackles for loss, 4 quarterback hurries and a pressured fumble on the best way to the staff’s first shutout in a season opener in 34 years.
Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban Mentioned
“I used to be actually happy with the best way the gamers approached this sport. I assumed we had good vitality, I assumed we had good depth. We had good preparation all through this week. [Utah State is] difficult with a few of the issues they do. I assumed the primary group did a extremely good job and we had lots of depth. And we have missed some issues which we have to clear up, however for probably the most half I assumed the primary group did a extremely good job on this sport. It was nearly as good staff win. I assumed the offense performed effectively, protection performed effectively and, aside from on the finish once we received to punt block, the particular groups have been stable. However there are issues that we have to enhance on and get higher at and gamers want to know the significance of sustaining the type of depth they’ve, whether or not it is in preparation or apply, in order that we will construct and enhance as a staff. Utah State performed exhausting they’ve a very good staff. No disrespect to them, however we will play groups which can be far more bodily and aggressive and proficient than what they’re. So, we will need to do issues accurately and it should be necessary the fellows get to know that. I instructed all of the younger gamers on the staff that if they’ll get a possibility to play, are you going to have the ability to benefit from that? Are you ready to go on the market and benefit from doing all your job? Understanding what to do and go on the market and get 5 or 6 penalties, improper formations, holding calls. It is good expertise for them, however I feel the largest factor is the lesson that they realized by way of how it’s important to put together for a sport so you possibly can benefit from a possibility on the subject of. We [were able] to play lots of gamers. I want we may even play extra however we’re making an attempt to get guys expertise to make our staff higher. And that was the primary objective once we began subbing guys in afterward within the sport.”
- The shutout victory marked the primary time in 34 years that Alabama has opened the season with out permitting a degree to its opponent (defeated Temple, 37-0 on Sept. 10, 1988)
- The 55-point margin is the biggest margin of victory in a season opener within the Saban-era
- Previous to Saturday’s nights win, Saban guided the Crimson Tide to a 48-point win precisely seven years in the past to the day when UA defeated USC 52-6 on Sept. 3, 2016
- The Crimson Tide scored on the primary 9 offensive drives of the competition en path to the shutout win
- Bryce Younger matched his profession excessive with the 5 landing passes, the fourth time throughout his 25-career video games for the Crimson Tide that he has achieved the feat
- The Tide’s sign caller additionally secured a career-best 100 dashing yards in a contest on 5 carries
- The Alabama protection restricted Utah State to solely seven first downs, the fewest allowed in a sport since holding Mississippi State to 6 on Nov. 10, 2018
- Alabama held Utah State to only 136 yards of whole offense, together with 57 yards passing and 79 yards dashing
- The primary – and solely – punt of the sport for the Tide sport late within the third quarter
- Paid attendance was 98,321
How It Occurred
- 09:56 – UA | Will Reichard received the Crimson Tide on the board with a 45-yard discipline objective to cap off a seven-play, 44-yard drive that lasted 2:52
- 05:55 – UA | Bryce Younger completed off a seven-play, 60-yard drive that took 3:02 off the clock when he threw his first landing go of the season, discovering Jermaine Burton at the back of the endzone to stake the Tide to a 10-0 lead
- 03:06 – UA | Younger threw his second landing of the quarter when he discovered Traeshon Holden for a nine-yard connection which accomplished a three-play, 34-yard drive that lasted simply 1:01
- 12:19 – UA | Burton’s second landing reception got here off a two-yard reception from Younger to complete off an 11-play, 82-yard drive that spanned 4:27.
- 10:14 – UA | Holden caught his second landing of the sport off a 14-yard catch-and-run whereas the four-play, 77-yard drive lasted simply 55 seconds and was highlighted by 63-yard carry by Younger
- 02:56 – UA | Reichard linked on a 33-yard discipline objective to complete off an 11-play, 51-yard drive
- 00:15 – UA | Alabama closed out the half’s scoring with an eight-yard landing reception by Jase McClellan, the fifth landing go for Younger within the half, matching his single-game profession excessive
- 13:37 – UA | Younger accounted for his career-best sixth landing of the night time when he scampered for a four-yard run to paydirt to complete off a three-play, 65-yard drive that took 1:19 off the clock
- 10:18 – UA | Redshirt freshman quarterback Jalen Milroe threw his first profession landing go when he discovered McClellan on a 17-yard strike that accomplished one other quick drive, lasting simply 1:54 on 4 performs and 44 yards
- Alabama performs its first highway sport of the season in Austin, Texas subsequent Saturday towards the Texas Longhorns
- The Tide and Longhorns are scheduled for an 11 a.m. CT kickoff on Fox