In October, Gabon will maintain the presidency of the Safety Council.
Gabon plans to organise two signature occasions.
The primary signature occasion is a debate on “Peace and safety in Africa: strengthening the battle towards financing of armed teams and terrorists by way of the illicit trafficking of pure assets”. Gabon’s President Ali Bongo Ondimba is anticipated to chair the assembly. AU Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace, and Safety Bankole Adeoye, an official from the UN Workplace on Medication and Crime (UNODC), and a consultant of civil society are more likely to transient.
The second signature occasion is a debate on “Local weather and safety in Africa”. The assembly will likely be chaired by Gabon’s international minister,
Michael Moussa-Adamo. UN Secretary-Normal António Guterres and AU Fee Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat are anticipated to transient.
Representatives of a few of Africa’s sub-regional organisations can also take part within the assembly.
In October, the annual open debate on girls, peace and safety will happen with a selected give attention to “Strengthening girls’s resilience in areas suffering from armed teams”. Gabon’s Prime Minister,
Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda, is anticipated to chair the assembly. UN Ladies Government Director Sima Sami Bahous and two girls civil society representatives are the anticipated briefers.
The Safety Council can also be scheduled to carry its annual debate on cooperation between the UN and regional and sub-regional organisations, specializing in the AU. Mousa Adamo is anticipated to chair the assembly. Guterres and Faki Mahamat are the anticipated briefers. A presidential assertion is a potential final result.
The sixteenth annual joint consultative assembly between the Safety Council and the AU Peace and Safety Council (AUPSC) will likely be held on 14 October. The annual assembly rotates between New York and Addis Ababa, the house of the AU headquarters. This 12 months, the assembly will likely be held in New York, and will probably be preceded by the ninth casual joint seminar of the Safety Council and the AUPSC, which is about to happen on 13 October.
The Safety Council is scheduled to carry its annual personal assembly with the President of the Worldwide Court docket of Justice (ICJ).
Along with the signature occasions, African points on the programme of labor in October are:
• Western Sahara, consultations on the UN Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) and the mandate renewal of MINURSO;
• Mali, briefing and consultations on the UN Multidimensional Built-in Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA);
• Nice Lakes area, the biannual briefing and consultations;
• Libya, briefing and consultations on the UN Assist Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) and the mandate renewal of UNSMIL;
• Somalia, briefing by the Chair of the 751 Somalia Sanctions Committee and the mandate renewal of the UN Help Mission in Somalia (UNSOM); and
• Sudan/South Sudan, briefing and consultations on the UN Interim Safety Drive for Abyei (UNISFA).
There can also be a gathering throughout the month on the work of the UN Multidimensional Built-in Stabilization Mission within the Central African Republic (MINUSCA).
Center East points on the programme embody:
• Iraq, briefing and consultations on the UN Help Mission in Iraq (UNAMI);
• Yemen, month-to-month briefing and consultations on developments;
• Golan, consultations on the UN Disengagement Observer Drive (UNDOF);
• Lebanon, consultations on the Secretary-Normal’s report on the implementation of decision 1559;
• Syria, conferences on the political/humanitarian conditions and on the chemical weapons monitor; and
• Center East, together with the Palestinian query, the quarterly open debate.
The Council is anticipated to satisfy on two European points in October. A briefing on the UN Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK)
- Safety Council Report
- For extra info, please go to the Safety Council Report web site https://www.securitycouncilreport.org